Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Advent Day2 - Anticipation and the Printer

Zeke + Spider man

As I get older its harder to have the same feelings of wonder or anticipation about life as I did when I was young. I am an enthusiastic extrovert but I have seen and experienced many wonderful events in my lifetime. I believe this is one of the reasons God blesses our mature years with grandchildren. We can experience anticipation and wonder once again!
 
A few months ago my four year old grandson Zeke (who is completely obsessed with Spider Man) asked me to draw the Web Slinger. As an artist I was delighted that he wanted me to draw a picture but I soon learned there were many specifications for how the super hero was to look.

So as any modern Oma would do I Googled images and let him pick. I also realized I didn't really want to draw Spidy and Zeke would be more thrilled to have me print out the image of his choice.

Talk about the delight of anticipation! He picked his image and raced to the next room as the printer clunked on and did its magic. He stood patiently in wonder of what was taking shape before his eyes. He now knows when he needs a Spider man all he has to do is ask for one.

Zeke knew what a printer did but he never understood what the printer could do for him. His "need"gave him a new experience.  Now he knows he can ask and wait with anticipation for the delight that will come forth in the digital age.

Sometimes we know what God "can do" but we don't understand what He "wants to do"-  until we express our need. He is pleased when we live with anticipation and wonder while we wait for Him to show us more of Himself.

   
But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation My God will hear me. Micah 7:7









No comments:

Post a Comment